Monday, February 17, 2014

New Higher speed Internet is slower than before!

I recently switched from Time Warner Business class 15Mx2M service to TWC residential 50Mx3M service.

After I made the switch, my daughter was complaining that xbox live kept disconnecting.  I also noticed that streaming movies was slower and playing basic games on the iPad also saw a lot of disconnects.  At first I was thinking it was due to the residential vs business differences.  But as I dug deeper into it I realized it wasn't the Internet connection at all, it was my equipment.

So, what did I have in my house from a "network" standpoint.

  1. Motorola Cable modem (This is required if you have a cable provider, it's like a DSL modem)
  2. A Cisco Valet Plus wireless router (the plus is the 1Gbps version, instead of 100Mbps)
  3. A 4-port switch downstairs
  4. A 4-port switch in the upstairs living room
  5. A 24-port switch in my office (only 5 used)
  6. A Cisco 891 router (work VPN)
Hum, that's a lot of crap, and I haven't even gotten to the clients:
  1. My Wife's iPhone 4s (WiFi)
  2. My iPhone 5 (WiFi)
  3. My daughters iPhone 5 (WiFi)
  4. My iPad 4 (WiFi)
  5. My daughters iPad 2 (WiFi)
  6. My wifes iPad 1 (WiFi)
  7. A Roku 3 (WiFi)
  8. A Roku XD (WiFi)
  9. Smart thermostat (WiFi)
  10. Wife's Windows laptop (WiFi)
  11. Daughters Macbook Air (WiFi)
  12. My Macbook Pro (WiFi)
  13. A Tivo Premier XL downstairs (Wired)
  14. A Tivo Premier XL in my daughters room (Wired)
  15. A Tivo Roamio Pro upstairs (Wired)
  16. A Sony Playstation 3 (Wired)
  17. An xbox 360 (Wired)
  18. A Sony Smart TV (Wired)
  19. A Samsung Smart Blueray (Wired)
  20. A Samsung Smart TV (Wired)
There's only 3 people that live in this house, really!

Ok, so we have 12 WiFi only devices and 8 wired devices.

Every time I did a speed test, I would get 50+Mbps at the start, and it would drop rapidly to 25-30Mbps.  This was happening on both wired and wireless.  But if I connected my MAC directly to the cable modem, I would get a sustained 50+Mbps, weird, this is a 1Gbps router, isn't it??

Well, it has 1Gbps ethernet connections, but no, it's not a 1Gbps router.  Also, it only supported 802.11G (54Mpbs wireless).  I needed to get something faster.

I purchased the Netgear R6300 router.  It's AC1750 compliant and backward compatible with A/B/G/N standards.

I setup two SSID's one that's called Ryan-Family (compatible and identical to the old router, so I don't have to change anything to get up and running), and a second one called Ryan-Family-5G.  This is the new 5GHZ band that's supported on the new router.  I then go through all of my WiFi devices and one by one switch them over to the Ryan-Family-5G SSID.

What's the result?
I get consistent 50+Mbps speed tests from all sites.  I still have a few devices that don't support the 5G 802.11N standard, but their happy on the 2.4G radio.  No xbox drops, no ipad drops, and streaming is beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I really enjoyed my brief visit on your site and I’ll be sure to be back for more.
    Can you please consider placing my website on your link list?

    Please email me back.

    Thanks!
    Kevin
    kevincollins1012 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete